History of the Colonial Inn
The Colonial Inn was built in 1947 by a local family as the tourists began to visit the beautiful beaches of the Outer Banks. In the beginning, there were small bungalows on one side and a long building on the other. In the front, a restaurant was established that stood and served all of the Outer Banks. After a couple of years, the owner decided that the idea of a new motel was not one that he had a penchant for and decided to sell. A wonderful family bought the Colonial and with their dedication and love, they brought the Colonial to the destination spot it is today.
Currently next door to the motel is the Nags Head Fishing Pier, however during the 40s and 50s before the pier was built, the Colonial was just behind the Nags Head Casino. Tourists and locals alike would come from all over to hear Artie Shaw, Woody Herman, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, and others all play at the happening nightspot. Even Louis Armstrong played to a packed house in 1958. In the 1970’s there was a new up and coming popular pastime, so the restaurant was taken down in order to build a large outdoor pool in its place.
Over the years, the Colonial Inn has welcomed families, friends and even loyal pets into its arms and heart and the current owner and staff have vowed to continue to do so in the future.